What does it mean I am convinced?
If you are convinced that something is true you feel sure that it is true. He was convinced that I was part of the problem. He became convinced of the need for cheap editions of good quality writing. [
What is this word convinced?
verb (used with object) con·vinced con·vinc·ing. to move by argument or evidence to belief agreement consent or a course of action: to convince a jury of his guilt A test drive will convince you that this car handles well. to persuade cajole: We finally convinced them to have dinner with us.
What does convince mean example?
The definition of convince is to persuade someone with evidence or argument. An example of convince is an attorney presenting evidence to get jurors to believe his client is innocent. … Convinced of the validity of her argument.
What is mean by convincing?
Definition of convincing
1 : satisfying or assuring by argument or proof a convincing test of a new product. 2 : having power to convince of the truth rightness or reality of something : plausible told a convincing story.
How do you use convinced in a sentence?
- In fact I think Uncle Fabrice had him convinced that he couldn’t sell a cheeseburger to a starving man. …
- You’re convinced they’re not real? …
- I just convinced myself we were going to make it right. …
- I think I’ve convinced them that you’re a trustworthy soul.
What does not convinced mean?
Definition of unconvinced
: not brought to believe or accept something by argument : not convinced was unconvinced the business would succeed They remain unconvinced by her new evidence …— Michael Casey.
What is incontrovertibly mean?
: not open to question : indisputable incontrovertible facts.
What’s the opposite meaning of convinced?
Antonyms & Near Antonyms for convinced. questioning skeptical uncertain.
What is a convince person?
DEFINITIONS2. to make someone believe that something is true. convince someone of something: He failed to convince the jury of his innocence.
How do you use convinced?
- People are more convinced by words than by blows.
- We convinced Anne to go by plane.
- He was convinced of her innocence.
- French police are convinced that she was tortured and killed.
- Molly agreed but she did not sound very convinced.
What is the prefix of convinced?
To figure out what convincing means remember that vincere is the Latin word for “to conquer.” Add on the prefix con- meaning “with ” and you get something that has the ability to conquer — whether it’s doubts disbelief or hostility.
How do you convince someone?
- Be confident. Your first step is to remain and project confidence throughout the entirety of your appeal. …
- Introduce a logical argument. People are easily persuaded by logic. …
- Make it seem beneficial to the other party. …
- Choose your words carefully. …
- Use flattery. …
- Be patient but persistent.
What does convinced to a man mean?
“to a man” is an idiom meaning ‘each one of us’. It adds emphasis but no extra meaning. As you say it could be removed without altering the meaning of the sentence.
What is the synonym of convinced?
In this page you can discover 53 synonyms antonyms idiomatic expressions and related words for convince like: persuade prove bring-over talk into prove to satisfy cram into one’s head win over ring-true assure and bring to reason.
What is noun of convince?
convincement. The act of convincing or state of being convinced conviction.
How do you convince someone to believe you?
- Tell the truth. …
- Tell the whole truth. …
- Don’t over-context the truth. …
- Freely confess ignorance. …
- First listen. …
- It’s not the words it’s the intent. …
- Use commonsense anchors. …
- Use the language of the other person.
What is it called when you convince someone to do something?
entice. verb. to persuade someone to do something especially by offering them an advantage or reward.
How do you use encourage in a sentence?
- She shouldn’t have encouraged Alex to come down here. …
- He nodded apparently encouraged by her smile. …
- But today trade is encouraged by specialization. …
- This has been encouraged by government prizes since 1904. …
- He’d probably just say I encouraged him. …
- One person can help us.
What do you mean by conceive?
Definition of conceive
transitive verb. 1a : to become pregnant with (young) conceive a child. b : to cause to begin : originate a project conceived by the company’s founder. 2a : to take into one’s mind conceive a prejudice. b : to form a conception of : imagine a badly conceived design cleverly conceived teleplays.
What’s another word for unconvincing?
In this page you can discover 30 synonyms antonyms idiomatic expressions and related words for unconvincing like: flimsy implausible inconclusive lame questionable suspect unbelievable weak improbable inconceivable and incredible.
What does the word unconvincing mean?
Definition of unconvincing
: not convincing : implausible an unconvincing argument.
What does it mean to be incriminating?
Definition of incriminate
transitive verb. : to charge with or show evidence or proof of involvement in a crime or fault.
What does dogma mean in religion?
dogma. / (ˈdɒɡmə) / noun plural -mas or -mata (-mətə) a religious doctrine or system of doctrines proclaimed by ecclesiastical authority as true. a belief principle or doctrine or a code of beliefs principles or doctrinesMarxist dogma.
Is indubitably a word?
Indubitably is an adverb that means “impossible to doubt.” You know what doubt means—it’s the feeling you get when you’re not certain about something or you’re not convinced about something. … Indubitably is an adverbial form of the adjective indubitable which carries the same meaning.
What do you call someone who is hard to convince?
inexorable Add to list Share. When a person is inexorable they’re stubborn. … An inexorable person is hard-headed and cannot be convinced to change their mind no matter what.
Where did the word convince come from?
1520s “to overcome in argument ” from Latin convincere “to overcome decisively ” from assimilated form of com- here perhaps an intensive prefix (see com-) + vincere “to conquer” (from nasalized form of PIE root *weik- (3) “to fight conquer”).
What is the most nearly opposite of convinced?
How do I convince my boyfriend?
- Ask nice. Put your idea on the table without pressure. Be upfront and tell him exactly what it is that you want. …
- Tell him why. Let him hear your side of things. …
- Lay low. Remember: no pressure. …
- Accept his final answer. Once he’s come to you with his decision accept it.
How can I convince my friend?
- Ask them to share their thoughts.
- Match their type of reasoning — if they’re being emotional appeal to their emotions if they’re relying on logic be logical.
- Get them to lower their guard with a genuine compliment.
- Pose a counter-argument (without making them defensive).
How do you convince someone they’re wrong?
How do you convince someone to say yes?
- Use a personal note. …
- Be up front with your request. …
- Use guilt to your advantage. …
- Use the right words. …
- Focus on what the other person will gain. …
- Remind the person he or she can always say no. …
- Appropriate physical touch may help.
What is convincing manner?
Serving to convince persuasive or believable. A convincing argument a convincing manner. adjective. Showing clearly the excellence or superiority of a competitor.
What makes something persuasive?
Persuasive people establish their ideas assertively and confidently without being aggressive or pushy. … Persuasive people don’t ask for much and they don’t argue vehemently for their position because they know that subtlety is what wins people over in the long run.
What part of speech is convince?
|part of speech:||transitive verb|
|inflections:||convinces convincing convinced|
Convinced | Meaning of convinced
CONVINCED – Meaning and Pronunciation