What Do I Need For Geocaching?
- Mobile Phone. Download the Geocaching app to gain access to the locations of caches across the world. …
- Network access. …
- Waterproof Pouch. …
- Pen/Pencil and Notepad. …
- Geoswag. …
- Waterproofs. …
- Sensible Footwear. …
What should I bring to geocaching?
- GPS/smartphone and extra batteries/charger. Don’t lose the juice. …
- SWAG for trading. SWAG = stuff we all get. …
- Extra logbooks and pencils. Yes it’s the cache owner’s responsibility to maintain their caches. …
- Snacks and water. …
- Sunscreen. ‘ …
- Bug spray. …
- Rain gear. …
- Tools of the Trade — TOTT.
Do I need a GPS device for geocaching?
For geocaching an expensive and elaborate GPS device is not necessary. At the simplest level you will need a GPS device for which you can easily enter waypoints. A device should also be easy to use accessible and durable.
Is geocaching still a thing 2021?
Can you use phone for geocaching?
Since geocaching required a GPS Android-based smartphones are a great tool to use since you normally have them with you. To participate in geocaching you will need to create an account at Geocaching.com.
What are the three main rules of geocaching?
Follow Leave No Trace guidelines in the natural environment. Be careful of the area around the cache—don’t trample the grounds rip up sprinkler heads etc. in your frenzy to find the cache. Follow all laws and regulations. Never enter private property without permission.
Can you take stuff from a geocache?
One of the guiding principles of geocaching is “take something leave something.” A geocache hider places a number of goodies in a container when a new cache is first started. … If you take something from a cache be sure to leave something. If you forgot your trade items just sign the logbook.
Which GPS best for geocaching?
- Rugged highly functional best value GPS for geocaching. This Garmin GPSMAP 60 has a very large display for its size and it is waterproof and easy to read. …
- Best value great for beginner hikers and geocachers. …
- Lots of bells and whistles and great if you want to use it in your car too.
How accurate is a GPS for geocaching?
What is the best geocaching app?
- Geocaching by Groundspeak. This is the game’s official app which is why it appears first in this list (and also because it is compatible with both Android and iOS). …
- C:Geo. …
- Cachly. …
- Cache Maid. …
- Looking 4 Cache Pro.
How do I geocache for free?
- Step 1: Signing Up. First off if you haven’t sign up for Geocaching.com then do it now. …
- Step 2: Downloading C:GEO and Signing In. In the Play Store search for “c:geo” and download the app. …
- Step 3: Using the App. …
- Step 4: Prep the Device. …
- Step 5: Find the Cache.
Is it worth paying for geocaching?
Yes premium membership is way better than basic. Loads of better caches can be found! The good caches are kept for premium members by premium members.
How do you get geocaching souvenirs?
Geographical locations or events
- To earn a country souvenir log any geocache in that country as “Found it.”
- To earn a Mega-Event souvenir log that Mega-Event as “Attended.”
- To earn a GeoTours souvenir complete the required caches for that GeoTour.
What are some dangers of geocaching?
At the top of the dangers is that you might not find the cache. While this might not sound so bad if you have an intense desire to find the certain item you might be out in the forest or street for many hours. Sometimes caches are taken from their GPS location by people (children) or by groundskeepers.
What are Muggles in geocaching?
Description. The word muggle was adopted from the Harry Potter series of books used to describe someone as non-magical. In geocaching it is used to refer to someone who does not geocache. … When the approaching muggle is a police officer or person of authority honesty is the recommended policy.
How do you geocache for beginners?
Use your smartphone app or GPS to navigate to the cache. Keep an eye out so you can spy the cache’s camouflaged hiding place. Once you find the cache sign the logbook exchange one item and put everything back like you found it.
What do geocache containers look like?
Geocache boxes come in all different shapes and sizes. They can be anything but they are usually small weatherproof boxes made of metal wood or plastic. You might find a camouflaged Altoids tin a can of mixed nuts or an ammo box. The cache will be hidden (but not buried) in a safe non-intrusive place.
What is proper geocaching etiquette?
What are some tips to practice good geocaching etiquette?
Always pack a pen to make sure you’re ready to sign your Geocaching username and the date. Leave No Trace – Be kind to the geocaching game board which happens to be the entire world. Make sure to Cache In Trash Out (CITO) when you geocache: pick up litter along the way and don’t leave anything behind.
What should you not put in a geocache?
What does PAF mean in geocaching?
What do you wear geocaching?
Jeans hiking pants or similar to protect from bugs and scratches.
How do I geocache with my Garmin?
- Download the latest version of Garmin Express.
- Search for geocaches you want to find.
- Add those caches to a list.
- Visit My Lists.
- Select ‘Send to Garmin. ‘
- Unplug and go geocaching!
What is a Geomate Jr?
The Geomate. jr is your geocache hunting tool. … When you switch the Geomate. jr on it works out which geocache is closest to your current position displays the size terrain and difficulty information for that geocache and then guides you to it!
How do you use a handheld GPS for geocaching?
Can you use Google Maps for geocaching?
Show Geocache On Google Maps. Quickly see a geocache’s location on a Google map. Click on our icon when looking at a geocache page and its location will be shown using a Google map in a new tab. Makes it easy to use features such as street view measure distances and more!
How do you read geocache coordinates?
- Select Waypoints from the cache details page.
- Tap the cache name below Existing Waypoints.
- View the Posted Coordinates navigate to them or mark as complete.
How do you enter coordinates into geocaching?
- Choose a Mystery Cache and select Waypoints.
- Select Posted Coordinates under Existing Waypoints.
- Select the pencil icon.
- Input new coordinates and select Save.
Can you geocache without data?
Yes. The Geocaching® app uses your offline maps before it tries to pull data from the internet. But offline maps are not designed to replace an available internet connection. If you don’t want the app to use cellular data switch to WiFi or Airplane Mode.
What geocache has been found the most often?
The ‘most found traditional geocache’ in the world is a distinction that’s currently neck and neck. Two traditional geocaches both have more than 12 400 finds. That’s more than twice as many finds as the Geocaching HQ geocache in Seattle and more than any other traditional geocache in the world.
How do you set up C Geo?
Once you’ve installed c:geo click the menu button (top left three vertical dots) and click Settings. Here you’ll find all the important settings. In Services click on Geocaching.com and enter your username and password. Check your login and you’re ready to cache.
Can you use iPhone for geocaching?
The settings allow you to login to geocaching.com to sync your saved caches. You can also select where you want your street topo and satellite maps to come from. Overall the official geocaching app is the best way to start geocaching from your iPhone.
What is geocache premium?
Premium-only caches offer access to thousands of additional geocaches all around the world. … Premium membership includes detailed geocaching statistics such as your best caching day geocaching milestones custom maps challenges and more.
How much is the geocaching subscription?
Get the best of Geocaching: Go Premium.
|Find More Geocaches||Basic||Premium|
|Advanced geocaches on mobile||X|
|All geocache types on mobile||X|
Geocaching for Beginners – 101
Introduction to Geocaching – Geocaching 101 – What You Need to Know to Start Geocaching
What is Geocaching?
How To Find Your First Geocache!